Here you will find a list of textbooks and other instructional resources to help create a firm foundation to launch your Materials Science class.
No Resources Found
- Integration of Materials Instruction in the Field of Manufacturing
- Materials Science: The Missing Piece in High School Science Curricula
- Core Competency Needs in Materials Technology
- Future Outlook for Materials Technology Education
- Educational Needs for Personnel in Nanotechnology: Core Competencies for Technicians
- MST Teachers Handbook - 1 PNNL Cover Page
- MST Teachers Handbook - 2 PNNL Disclaimer
- MST Teachers Handbook - 3 PNNL Table of Content
- MST Teachers Handbook - 4 Introduction to Materials Science and Technology
- MST Teachers Handbook - 5 Creating an MST Environment
- MST Teachers Handbook - 6 Standards, Learning Goals, and Assessment
- MST Teachers Handbook - 7 Experiments Demonstrations Introductory
- MST Teachers Handbook - 8 Experiments Demonstrations Metals
- MST Teachers Handbook - 9 Experiments Demonstrations Ceramics
- MST Teachers Handbook - 10 Experiments Demonstrations Polymers
- MST Teachers Handbook - 11 Experiments Demonstrations Composites
- MST Teachers Handbook - 12 Acknowledgement
- MST Teachers Handbook - 13 Resource Appendix
Related NSF Programs
- NSF- National Science Foundation
- RapidTech - The National Center for Rapid Technologies (RapidTech) supports industry & education at all levels particularly in the adoption of Rapid Technologies and additive manufacturing which increases global competitiveness. Implementation of related technologies allows us to enhance educational and technical applications to ensure that these emerging technologies reach their full market potential while continuing to support ongoing workforce development.
- SpaceTEC - a National Resource Center for Aerospace Technical Education is the focal point for providing aerospace related post-secondary technical assistance for aerospace employees. SpaceTEC and its partners offer programs that prepare candidates to become Certified Aerospace Technicians. Potential candidates must meet minimum established pre-requisites and successfully pass the computer-based knowledge exam and the oral and hands-on practical exams. Based at Brevard Community College, Cocoa Beach Florida, SpaceTEC has eleven partner institutions in eight states.
- MTI - Materials Aspects of Manufacturing Technology Institute, University of Washington, 1997-2001
- Weld-ed.org - The National Center for Welding Education and Training (dba Weld-Ed) is housed at Lorain County Community College (LCCC) in Elyria, Ohio. The Center is a collaboration of community colleges, universities, workforce agencies, and business and industry members representing welding and materials joining industry perspectives. The Center’s primary mission is to expand the number of higher skilled welding technicians while at the same time addressing the overall welding and materials joining needs of a multifaceted industry.
- Engineering Education Service Center - is an engineering education company that specializes in providing products for K-12 schools to teach and share the fun of engineering. From curriculum to books, DVDs, posters, T-shirts and other motivational products, we aim to make engineering understandable and accessible to everyone.
Other National Resource Centers
- NCME - National Center for Manufacturing Education, Sinclair Community College
- MERC - Manufacturing Education Resource Center, Sinclair Community College
- MATEC - Maricopa Advanced Technology Education Center, Maricopa Community College
- MRSEC - University of Wisconsin - Madison Materials Research Science and Engineering Center
National Science Digital Library
- MATDL - Materials Digital Library Pathway
Textbooks for 2 Year Materials Technician Programs
- Fundamentals of Materials Science for Technologists: Properties, Testing, and Laboratory Exercises (2nd Edition) by Larry Horath, (Paperback - June 9, 2000) --This book is a logical text for a course for technicians.
- Engineering Materials Technology: Structures, Processing, Properties and Selection (5th Edition) by James A. Jacobs, Thomas F. Kilduff, (Hardcover - March, 2004) --This is a good book with applications but the level may be a little high for technicians.
- Materials and Processes in Manufacturing by E. Paul DeGarmo, J T. Black, and Ronald A. Kohser, (Hardcover - Mar. 9, 2007) -- Recommended for the second year of the Material technician course since it requires the user to have basic knowledge in materials science.
- Manufacturing Processes and Materials by George F. Schrader and Ahmad K Elshennawy, (Hardcover - Jan. 9, 2000) -- A good book for technician level.
- The New Science of Strong Materials or Why You Don't Fall through the Floor (Princeton Science Library) by J. E. Gordon and Philip Ball, (Paperback - Jan. 30, 2006) --This is a nice little book with lots of good examples. Not really a textbook but a fun read and quite applicable to materials technology.
- Engineering Materials Properties and Selection (9th Edition) by Kenneth G. Budinski and Michael K. Budinski (Feb 13, 2009)
- Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials that Shape Our Man-Made World by Mark Miodownik (2014)
Textbooks for 4 year programs
- Materials Science and Engineering : An Introduction, 9th edition, W.D. Callister and D.G. Rethwisch, John Wiley & Songs, Hoboken, NJ, 2014
- Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach, 4th edition, William D. Callister and D.G. Rethwisch, John Wiley & Songs, Hoboken, NJ, 2012
- The Essentials of Materials Science and Technology for Engineers , Copyright 2013, A. K. Rakhit, PhD
Web Sites & Other Resources
- Center of Excellence for Aerospace and Advanced Materials Manufacturing - A partnership between Edmonds and Everett Community Colleges, serving all of Washington State with regard to careers in advanced manufacturing.
- ATE - ATE Center Impact
- MAST - Materials Science and Technology Teacher's Workshop, University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign
- Materials World Modules - Materials World Modules, Northwestern University
- How Everyday Things Are Made - Alliance for Innovative Manufacturing
- numberland.com - International website on materials.
- Microworlds: Exploring the Structure of Materials - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Strange Matter Exhibit - Ontario Science Centre
- ICE - Institute for Chemical Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MatWeb - Materials Database
- National Coalition of Advanced Technology Centers - The National Coalition of Advanced Technology Centers is a network of higher education resources that advocates and promotes the use of technology applications that enhance economic and workforce development programs and services.
- Webmineral - Mineralogy Database
- The Structure of Matter - Edward Goo, University of Southern California
- NDT - NDT Resources Center
- Granta - NDT Resources Center
- Hindawi - Advances in Material Science and Engineering
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory - STEM education and work-based learning resources
- NIST - Materials Science Portal
- Careers in Welding
- Career Cornerstone - Overview of needed educational preparation in engineering technology
- Carnegie Science Center Resources - Career Resources including links to hot jobs, internships, job descriptions, self assessment quizzes, interviews and more with those in the fields of Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, Robotics, Advanced Materials Processes, Environmental Technology and Information Technology.
- Career Cluster Resources for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- NJ Department of Education - Comprehensive List of Career Exploration and Materials to Assist Educators Counselors, and Students
- Learn How to Become - A career path resource site that includes engineering paths
Papers & Publications
- Education Working With Global Industry Standards
- Guide for Planning, Organizing, and Managing FOCUS GROUPS
- ASEE Engineering Technology Division Membership Survey
- Materials Science: The Gateway to Science!,Tom Stoebe, John Rusin, University of Alabama, June 13, 2006, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Resource Center for Materials Education - PowerPoint Presentation,John Rusin, Tom Stoebe, Mel Cossette, NEW 2005, October 19, 2005, Gaithersburg, MD
- Resource Center for Materials Education,John Rusin & Tom Stoebe, MS&T 05, September 27, 2005, Pittsburgh, PA
- Materials Science Program Impact at the High School Level,Tom Stoebe, Laura Collins, MS&T 05, September 27, 2005, Pittsburgh, PA
- High School Materials Science: It really works!,John Rusin, Tom Stoebe, Charles Hayes, The Future of Materials Science & Engineering Education Conference, April 4-8, 2004 Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
- Materials Technology Education Program Impact on Secondary Teachers and Students,Thomas Stoebe, Guy Whittaker and Karen Hinkley, Journal of Materials Education 24 (1-3): 23-30 (2002)
- What is MST?, Debbie Goodwin & Andy Nydam
- Materials Science and Technology: What do the Students Say?Guy Whittaker, Journal of Technology Education, Volume 5, Number 2 , Spring 1994
- Materials Science: The Missing Piece in High School Science Curricula, Lisa Ogiemwonyi
- ASM Materials Education Foundation: Preparing Engineers for the Future,Thomas G. Stoebe, Aziz Asphahani, Charles Hayes, MS&T 05, September 27, 2005, Pittsburgh, PA