Here you will find a list of textbooks and other instructional resources to help create a firm foundation to launch your Materials Science class.expand all
highlighted here for easy access
- 360 Manufacturing and Applied Engineering Free to use, online learning modules covering topics valued by manufacturing companies—communication, reliability, productivity, and 23 more.
- The ASM Materials Camp for Teachers STEM Handbook encompasses ideas for high school or middle school classroom curriculum, labs that use everyday materials, and links to websites with information and consumable supplies
- Core Competency Needs in Materials Technology
- Educational Needs for Personnel in Nanotechnology: Core Competencies for Technicians
- Future Outlook for Materials Technology Education
- Integration of Materials Instruction in the Field of Manufacturing
- Materials Science: The Missing Piece in High School Science Curricula
- The STEM Workforce - Potential Solution
MST Teacher's Handbook
Developed by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, this handbook is an Introduction to Materials Science and Technology -- creating an MST environment -- standards, learning goals, assessment -- experiments and demonstrations.
- MST Teachers Handbook - 1 PNNL Cover Page
- MST Teachers Handbook - 2 PNNL Disclaimer
- MST Teachers Handbook - 3 PNNL Table of Content
- MST Teachers Handbook - 4 Introduction to Materials Science and Technology
- MST Teachers Handbook - 5 Creating an MST Environment
- MST Teachers Handbook - 6 Standards, Learning Goals, and Assessment
- MST Teachers Handbook - 7 Experiments Demonstrations Introductory
- MST Teachers Handbook - 8 Experiments Demonstrations Metals
- MST Teachers Handbook - 9 Experiments Demonstrations Ceramics
- MST Teachers Handbook - 10 Experiments Demonstrations Polymers
- MST Teachers Handbook - 11 Experiments Demonstrations Composites
- MST Teachers Handbook - 12 Acknowledgement
- MST Teachers Handbook - 13 Resource Appendix
American Society of Metals extensive collection of 100's of materials related videos.
National Science Foundation Programs
National Science Foundation has nationwide resources for technician education. A wide variety of organizations are working on certifications, curriculum development, learning style specific content and education.
- 360, Leading the Manufacturing Talent Revolution - Available resources in career success skills modules, online and hands-on education
- MRS - Materials Research Society
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Centers (MRSEC) - a network of Centers located at academic institutions throughout the United States, funded by the National Science Foundation.
- NSF - National Science Foundation
- NSF Radio - all things science, engineering, math and technology
- SpaceTEC - a National Resource Center for Aerospace Technical Education is the focal point for providing aerospace related post-secondary technical assistance for aerospace employees. SpaceTEC and its partners offer programs that prepare candidates to become Certified Aerospace Technicians. Potential candidates must meet minimum established pre-requisites and successfully pass the computer-based knowledge exam and the oral and hands-on practical exams. Based at Brevard Community College, Cocoa Beach Florida, SpaceTEC has eleven partner institutions in eight states.
- Weld-ed.org - The National Center for Welding Education and Training (dba Weld-Ed) is housed at Lorain County Community College (LCCC) in Elyria, Ohio. The Center is a collaboration of community colleges, universities, workforce agencies, and business and industry members representing welding and materials joining industry perspectives. The Center’s primary mission is to expand the number of higher skilled welding technicians while at the same time addressing the overall welding and materials joining needs of a multifaceted industry.
From CNC to laser cutting to additive manufacturing, these courses are freely available as open source classroom resources.
These are educational products in engineering including kits, labs, books, workshops and posters.
- Engineering Education Service Center is an engineering education company that specializes in providing products for K-12 schools to teach and share the fun of engineering. From curriculum to books, DVDs, posters, T-shirts and other motivational products, we aim to make engineering understandable and accessible to everyone.
- Teach Engineering is a searchable, web-based digital library collection populated with standards-based engineering curricula for use by K-12 teachers and engineering faculty.
Recommended by educators and technicians as excellent tools for teaching and learning material science.
Textbooks for 2 Year Materials Technician Programs
- Engineering Materials Properties and Selection (9th Edition) by Kenneth G. Budinski and Michael K. Budinski
- Engineering Materials Technology: Structures, Processing, Properties and Selection (5th Edition) by James A. Jacobs, Thomas F. Kilduff, (Hardcover - March, 2004) --This is a good book with applications but the level may be a little high for technicians.
- Essentials of Advanced Composite Fabrication Repair by Dorworth, L.; Gardiner, G.; Mellema, G.
- Materials and Processes in Manufacturing (11th Edition) by E. Paul DeGarmo, J T. Black, and Ronald A. Kohser -- Recommended for the second year of the Material technician course since it requires the user to have basic knowledge in materials science.
- Manufacturing Processes and Materials (5th Edition) by George F. Schrader and Ahmad K Elshennawy -- A good book for technician level.
- The New Science of Strong Materials or Why You Don't Fall through the Floor (Princeton Science Library) by J. E. Gordon and Philip Ball, (Paperback - May 2018) --This is a nice little book with lots of good examples. Not really a textbook but a fun read and quite applicable to materials technology.
- Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials that Shape Our Man-Made World (2014) by Mark Miodownik
Textbooks for 4 year programs
- Textbooks for 4 year Programs
- Physical Properties of Materials, Second Edition by Mary Anne White (June 28, 2011)
- The Essentials of Materials Science and Technology for Engineers , Copyright 2013, A. K. Rakhit, PhD
- Elementary Materials Science, William F Hosford, ASM International, 2014 Covers the basic concepts of Materials Science applied to metals, ceramics, polymers and composites
- Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach, 4th edition, William D. Callister and D.G. Rethwisch, John Wiley & Songs, Hoboken, NJ, 2012
- Materials Science and Engineering : An Introduction, 9th edition, W.D. Callister and D.G. Rethwisch, John Wiley & Songs, Hoboken, NJ, 2014
- Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down, pub 2003, by J. E. Gordon
Web Sites & Other Resources
Innovative materials resources from a wide variety of providers including professional organizations, university programs, state and federal projects and national laboratories.
- America Ceramic Society - Resource page with downloads for demos, databases and tools for classroom use
- ATE - ATE Center Impact
- American Composites Manufacturing Association - featuring articles, a magazine and resources
- Center of Excellence for Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing - One of Washington State's 10 Centers of Excellence focused on sector strategies and economic development.
- The CORE-Materials Repository - contains 1670 open educational resources (OERs) in Materials Science and Engineering
- Granta - NDT Resources Center
- Hindawi - Advances in Material Science and Engineering
- How Everyday Things Are Made - Alliance for Innovative Manufacturing
- ICE - Institute for Chemical Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow Learning Hub - nationally relevant, open source and scalable online library of lightweighting and composites related education materials for use by educators and students at all levels.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Open courseware in Material Science
- MAST - Materials Science and Technology Teacher's Workshop, University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign
- Materials World Modules - Materials World Modules, Northwestern University
- MatWeb - Materials Database
- Microworlds: Exploring the Structure of Materials - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- National Coalition of Advanced Technology Centers - The National Coalition of Advanced Technology Centers is a network of higher education resources that advocates and promotes the use of technology applications that enhance economic and workforce development programs and services.
- NIST - Materials Science Portal
- NDT - NDT Resources Center
- NSDL - The National Science Digital Library
- numberland.com - International website on materials
- The Optical Society - education resources including a lab manual for teachers
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory - STEM education and work-based learning resources
- Strange Matter Exhibit - Ontario Science Centre
- Try Engineering - hands-on, standards-based lesson plans for middle and high school STEM faculty.
- Webmineral - Mineralogy Database
Guides and support information for students to explore career pathways, job descriptions and educational preparation requirements.
- Career Cluster Resources for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Career Cornerstone - Overview of needed educational preparation in engineering technology
- Careers in Welding
- Carnegie Science Center Resources - Career Resources including links to hot jobs, internships, job descriptions, self assessment quizzes, interviews and more with those in the fields of Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, Robotics, Advanced Materials Processes, Environmental Technology and Information Technology.
- Learn How to Become - A career path resource site that includes engineering paths
Papers & Publications
More depth by thought leaders in the areas of standards, high school pathways, defining material science concepts and forming focus groups.
- ASEE Engineering Technology Division Membership Survey
- Education Working With Global Industry Standards
- Entrepreneurship Incubation Case Study of the Facility Makerspace : Impacts, Challenges and Strategies
- Guide for Planning, Organizing, and Managing FOCUS GROUPS
- High School Materials Science: It really works!,John Rusin, Tom Stoebe, Charles Hayes, The Future of Materials Science & Engineering Education Conference, April 4-8, 2004 Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
- Materials Science and Technology: What do the Students Say?Guy Whittaker, Journal of Technology Education, Volume 5, Number 2 , Spring 1994
- Materials Science: The Gateway to Science!,Tom Stoebe, John Rusin, University of Alabama, June 13, 2006, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Materials Science: The Missing Piece in High School Science Curricula, Lisa Ogiemwonyi
- Materials Science Program Impact at the High School Level,Tom Stoebe, Laura Collins, MS&T 05, September 27, 2005, Pittsburgh, PA
- Materials Technology Education Program Impact on Secondary Teachers and Students,Thomas Stoebe, Guy Whittaker and Karen Hinkley, Journal of Materials Education 24 (1-3): 23-30 (2002)
- What is MST?, Debbie Goodwin & Andy Nydam
- Innovations in Education, Mel Cossette & Thomas Stoebe